baslinux - Re: [BL] slow upload speed, was Re: multiple systems (among other things) -- was Re: interesting info for those with trident cards (possibly applies to others)

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] slow upload speed, was Re: multiple systems (among other things) -- was Re: interesting info for those with trident cards (possibly applies to others)
  • Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 03:31:48 +0000 (UTC)

Can I delete libcurl.a?

Yes. You will then be unable to compile static binaries with libcurl,
but very few people actually want to be able to do that.

I can't even figure out how to use curl.

Curl works something like wget but can also upload. The package from linuxpackages for SW81 has dependencies libssl.so.0 and libcrypto.so.0. Linuxpackage has openssl-solibs-0.97-i386-1.tgz package for SW81, 840K download, produces 807K libsso.0.91 and 987K libcrypto.0.97 which need to be symlinked. (Installing the package does this and also makes more files). This is a lot bigger than busybox wget and ftpput and had better be worth the space and time.

Slackware 8.1 also posted some later versions of openssl but they are older than this (0.9.6).

There are various curl command-line options for binary or ascii, for downloading entire directories and creating them locally, for doing file transfer via telnet. You can download or upload multiple files [1-100] and I hope also *. (I could also simply gzip into one big file first).

curl ftp://username:password AT ftp.freeshell.org --limit-rate 31200 -T filename.jpg

Or some speed slower than this - 2000 bytes for instance, and experiment to get the best results (assuming curl indicates transfer speed as a default.

-T could be changed to --upload-file Is the order of options important?

I could also upload via http to my html directory.

I found the above via google - is it correct for uploading a jpg to my home directory at freeshell (sdf)?

The man pages don't make any sense to me, they are full of
CURLOPT_PASSWDDATA - is this something you use when rewriting the source code?

I don't see any way to use curl with SMTP but I don't mind mailing via freeshell/sdf if it will let me ftp faster than the usual 1.4K upload to there. Even downloads via FTP rarely exceed 2K/sec and often slow down to 500 bytes/sec.