baslinux - Re: [BL] postscript network printers

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] postscript network printers
  • Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 16:26:08 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005, David Moberg wrote:

On 12/1/05, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
I could download a 32MB network management program to send files to the
printer over a network, but I think I can also ftp them over a crossover
cable

Are you sure about that? I was under the impression that printers had
their own network printing protocols. I could be wrong, though.

Upgrade instructions for the OS (which is a ps file) said to cat via parport or ftp over crossover cable after assigning an IP address.

if I can assign an IP number to the printer - how can I do that with
BL?

No idea. Does it have some default if you connect it to a network?
You may need to run a dhcp server.

I have to get the OS installed before I know more. The LCD screen just complains about a bad image checksum.

Presumably I could also set up a plip connection

I highly doubt it. Don't you usually use something besides plip
when you are not using Linux? Also, the parallel port is probably
for printing only (i.e. cat file >/dev/lp0)

I know no way to put either llpro or linux/plip onto the printer's hard drive.

- does ftp work via plip?

Yes.

The thing has a 133MHz cpu and 4 SIMM slots and a scsi
controller.

Can you use a 486 to control it? Sounds like the tail is wagging
the dog.

It can also take a 2.2G hard drive and 384MB of RAM (did they really make 96MB 72-pin SIMMs?). The OS is a 10MB file and they suggest at least 127MB hard drive, presumably to store jobs too large to fit in memory? Standard memory 24MB, upping it to 36MB gives you 1200x600 instead of 600x600 dpi. Would more memory help in any other way if I am sending files to hard drive?

I don't think I can upgrade the cpu or add a keyboard or monitor. But there is an 'option' slot for various other network interfaces. This printer is about 1998 or 1999, which makes it newer than some of our computers.

The printers can do postscript 2 and pcl 5 (HP?). Can I simply cat
filename.ps > /dev/lp0?

Maybe. You may need to use pstops or ps2ps (not sure which one)
first to convert it into a simpler dialect of postscript. Do ps files need
unix2dos?

I don't have ps2ps or pstops. I will experiment.

(or pbmtolj for monochrome files).

Does it support the laserjet protocol in addition to ps and pcl??

I thought PCL = HP = deskjet = laserjet. I have been using the ghostscript deskjet format or netpbm's pbmtolj for laserjet and deskjet printers.

I don't think I need ghostscript, which is for printing ps or pdf on a
non-ps printer.

It is still handy for other things (notably, pdf to ps (pswrite)).

How would I write a printcap for a ps printer on lp0?

Just as for any other printer, as long as your filter script outputs
ps. You may not even need a filter script. Try printing without one.

I hope not to need one. Too confusing.

If I use the ethernet connection do I replace /dev/lp0 with /dev/eth0

No.
With the IP address?

(and for serial with ttyS0)

Yes.

Serial cables can go longer distances. We used a printer cable plus an extension cable to transfer the 10MB OS - would this have caused a checksum error? The printer is in another room, no space in this one.
I could use a laptop computer for file transfer in the same room.

and ifconfig eth0 and what else needs changing?

You will need to figure out how the printer works. How does it get an
IP address? dhcp? hardwired? some other method?
How do you send files to it over the network for printing? ftp?
cups? ipp? windows printing protocol? lpr?

I will read the operating manual if I can first get the OS transferred to it (so as to print the manual out at 16 ppm).

The installation manual (shorter) says to 'assign IP address'.

David