baslinux - Re: [BL] 1 floppy demo

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] 1 floppy demo
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 21:09:06 +0000 (UTC)

I am again trying to make a 1 floppy BL3, with one of David's new USB kernels.

Last time I made a bl3.gz and used the BL2 ramdisk method to boot (see below), by replacing the file system.

This time I am attempting to use Steven's 2-floppy lilo method, making a changed copy of disk 1 to which I can boot and then Ctrl-C (don't use the second disk with X, because the USB kernel can't do X anyway). If I mount /dev/fd0 /fd and ls /fd I can see on disk1: disk1.gz (the file system), boot.b, map, and zimage.

To make a USB lilo-boot 1-floppy BL3, I can replace zimage with the USB kernel (naming it zimage) on the first floppy disk, but which kernel should I use?

1) David's first kernel, which is tested working with ext2 BL2 and BL3, but is said not to work with ramdisk BL2 (so I can't use a ramdisk BL3 either) or loop linux. And may not recognize msdos or vfat file systems. What about 2-floppy lilo linux?

2) his second kernel, which was supposed to have support for my SM card,
and comes with an initrd that mounts loop so can be used to boot loop BL3. If so, what do I do with initrd and do I need to modify boot.b or map, which I can't even read because they are binary?

If neither kernel will work with 2-floppy lilo-boot BL3, could David please modify initrd.gz to work with ramdisk or come up with some other method of getting a small usb kernel into a 1 or 2 floppy BL set, thanks.

I just took a look at initrd.gz after gunzipping it and mounting it: mount -o loop initrd /mnt. It contains directories similar to the regular BL3 initrd.gz, a sort of mini-filesystem. Under /bin is losetup and insmod and umount, etc. In /lib/modules/2.4.31/kernel are several directories with modules (add .o): /drivers/block/loop - should a similar module for ramdisk go here? /scsi/scsi_mod and sd_mod. /ide/ide-core, -detect, -disk, /usb (-core -uhci -ohci -storage) and /kernel/host/fat and vfat

I presume for the Bl2 method loop.o would need to be replaced with ramdisk.o in initrd.gz, but then would I just replace initfs.gz with initrd.gz and the BL2 kernel with the second USB kernel? Or does the kernel itself need to be recompiled to support ramdisk?

Will the lilo 2-floppy BL3 method work with this kernel and if so, what do I do with the modules and do I need to edit boot.b and/or map? I don't see anything resmebling initrd.gz here.

I am getting rather tangled in these loops, and probably mixing up methods. I see why I was advised not to fiddle with the BL2 2-floppy set. David or Steven, Help!!!!!

Slackware 9.1 live CD will probably work with the camera, unless we run into a laptop with usb but no CD-ROM drive, but it is slower to boot, and not nearly as impressive. We will take that too. We own one laptop with missing floppy drive that has USB (won't work with DOS, probably uhci) and CD-ROM drive.