baslinux - Re: [BL] New kernel for BL3

  • From: "Sheldon Isaac" <SheldonIsaac AT MyRealBox.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] New kernel for BL3
  • Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 10:22:41 -0500

On 13 Nov 2005 at 18:35, 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:
> > I tried the P2 kernel on my loop installation, but lost some
> > of my functionality - couldn't play MP3, OGG or even MPEG. :(
>
> The P2 version of the 2.2.26 kernel works fine for me
> (mplayer works). Did you add the 2.2.26 modules?
> insmod soundcore
> insmod sound
> insmod uart401
> insmod sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=0 mpu_io=0x330

I just booted the first zimage (458,327 bytes) you made available with
kernel 2.2.26, and did those insmods. As I recall, there was a problem with
sb; I guess some of the things like the io, irq, etc were wrong for my
system.
What should I do? Adjust BIOS settings regarding ISA/PCI etc etc?
Or is there some way to diagnose and fix this based on the error message?
I tried to direct the output to a file, but it didn't work.

Anyhow, how do I see whether sound works? You mentioned mplayer ?
I don't recall whether I used that, or whether I ever was able to paly
sound files or CDs with Basic Linux.
I can't find a mplayer on my computer drives that looked as though it's for
Linux.
Where do I get it?

What are the advantages of kernel 2.2.26 over 2.2.16 ?

Thanks,
Sheldon