baslinux - Re: [BL] mac

  • From: "David Lane" <Jaypooh3 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] mac
  • Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 11:12:55 -0400

>For the ethernet connection to the DSL modem, we would >use the static IP
>number of this computer, right? Is there also some way to do >direct file
>transfer via ethernet from linux to OSX?

Sindi,

You need not use a static IP on your computer.If you are hooked to a
hub,router,or directly to the DSL modem,the modem should assign an IP as
most DSL modems are crippled routers themselves,you can use DHCP.If you set
an static IP,make sure it's below the threshold of what the modem
automatically sets.E.G. if the modem starts assigning IP addresses at
192.168.0.97,then use a static of 192.168.0.96 or below.
File transfer between OS X and linux should indeed be possible, as OS X
is unix based.Use the samba server client onboard the mac.The instructions
to setup samba used to be on the apple support site.It will involve setting
the address of your PC in samba in this format,SMB192.168.xxx.xxx (depending
your pc's IP).I'm afraid I don't know the details myself.With both computers
on a hub or router it should be fairly easy.I'd get my instructions from the
net,there is a step by step how-to out there.
You'll find on the road, carrying a cheap ethernet hub and a couple of
cables will come in handy many times,and make life a lot easier.