baslinux - [BL] wordprocessors and text editors under dosemu

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] wordprocessors and text editors under dosemu
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 16:32:16 +0000 (UTC)

WP51 works properly in CLI mode with dosemu -V (as do breeze, pedit and pcword wordprocessors).

Without the -V switch I was able to use:
WP42, VDE (wordprocessors)

my partner's 4K text editor (does split screen, upper ascii, prints)

Other text editors:
techedit (no wordwrap but good with columns/rectangles, and split screen horizontally and vertically, but for some reason when you type on the vertical split screen it appears in both screens at once, in dosemu)

eda (Czech program that also calculates, usable as spreadsheet, macros, lets you type upper ASCII characters such as /r for the Czech r)
sorts, does angles, lets you move columns around, etc.

'read' - works on small files (splits large ones, badly). Unlike
the two editors above, does wordwrap and prints.

I have these four text editors because, in plain DOS, they work with upper ascii characters for translating (or writing Czech). Techedit has a simple help screen. EDA is more powerful in some ways but harder to learn.

Dosemu -V is needed to keep the upper ascii chars from all displaying as ????, but if I load a Russian font dosemu seems to have unloaded it because I only see the standard Greek letters, math symbols, and box characters instead of Cyrillic. Is this a bug? xdosemu acts like dosemu -V.

Should I post techedit and eda (100 and 65K exe's), which I think I got from simtel and SAV?

Does VDE do 'hard page'? (page break) The page preview is supposed to show pagebreaks but can you add them where wanted? The doc file did not say how.