baslinux - [BL] internalized scsi CD-ROM drive is /dev/sr0

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] internalized scsi CD-ROM drive is /dev/sr0
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 16:44:40 +0000 (UTC)

BL2 came with many /dev/sda to /dev/sdg's and an assortment of /dev/sg's but no /dev/sr's, needed to mount scsi cd-rom drives. Please add to future versions, Steven.

mknod /dev/sr0 b 11 0
mknod /dev/sr1 b 11 1

Place jumper on terminator and on id 4 pins.
Plug cable from drive to internal connector on aic7xxx card.
Plug power to drive (and if desired also sound cable to sound card).

insmod scsi_mod
insmod sg
insmod sr_mod
insmod aic7xxx

It detected the Adaptec scsi host and the HP cd-writer (8x)

Put in an AOL test CD.

mount /dev/sr0 /mnt

cdrom: open failed
mount: No medium found

Did I omit a step? Or is the drive dead? It was given to us as an external drive (multiread, takes 4 CDs), smaller-type (newer) connector, missing power supply, by a friend who rescued it from being thrown out after it was donated to where we all volunteer. We have another older CD-burner with larger-type connectors. Inside the newer box, the drive itself took the older connector. Since we had nothing else on the cable, we put on a jumper to terminate it - is this needed when we have also terminated the scanner (which is last in the chain after the zip drive, plugged into the external connector on the same scsi card)?

The neighbor who gave us these drives is trying to talk us into using scsi hard drives which I presume use the same modules as the zip drive (scsi_mod and sd). Can I boot linux from DOS if DOS is on a scsi drive?
The BIOS can be set to boot from scsi, of course.

The burner is recognized in dos so we should try to read a CD there.

devicehigh=aspi8dos.sys /d

(taken from the Iomega set of .sys files
and used in DOS with the scsi zip drive which needs module sd).

To boot from a scsi drive in DOS do we need anything other than this sys file and setting CMOS to boot from scsi?

I have DOS and linux on the same drive because I ran out of IDE slots (IDE CD-burner, DVD-burner, IDE zip drive) so am going scsi.

We have the IDs set to 4 (burner) 5 and 6 (scanner and zip drive). The card is 7.