baslinux - Re: [BL] MPlayer

  • From: Stephen Clement <s.clement AT sympatico.ca>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] MPlayer
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 19:31:24 -0400

sindi keesan wrote:

CPUflags: MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 0
Compiled with runtime CPU detection - WARNING - this is not optimal!
To get best performance, recompile MPlayer with
--disable-runtime-cpudetection.

I'll need to figure out why it says this is not optimal.

My impression was it meant Mplayer would run a little better if optimized for a particular cpu.

It will, but then it won't run on certain CPU's.

Was this detection so that it can be used on various systems?

Yes. I will probably want to build my next MPlayer with this option.

Indeed you do.

Is a 486 a good enough low end since that is the target of BL3?

Maybe. MPlayer isn't really intended for slow CPUs.

You can't play DVDs on a 386, can you?

You can. 386s accept DVD drives, don't they? Don't expect a very
fast decode, but processor speed doesn't affect whether or not
you can do something, just how fast it works.

Is there any reason why someone would PUT a DVD player into anything older than a pentium? Mplayer can probably be used for playing music on a 386, however 486 laptops are being thrown out now.

I wouldn't recommend putting a DVD player in anything older than a Pentium 2 myself.

I do consider something like AAlib or libcaca necessary myself.
Also, SDL's sound output I find works no matter what, it's quite
good.

What are all of these used for?

AAlib/libcaca is for converting video into text. Have you seen so-
called ASCII art? It's mainly useful when you want to send video
to a terminal (which Steven (Clement) has said he wants to do).

netpbm has something similar to this but for still pictures to ascii art.

MPlayer can do that too I believe.

SDL lets you use many different audio and video drivers, while
having only one or two driver interfaces to MPlayer. It can do
many other things, too. If you're interested, libsdl.org is
its homepage.

The current statically compiled binary size is 7.7MB, uncompressed.

David suggested to me that I use 'strip' to make binaries smaller.
Someone else suggested using upx (after strip). Together they cut
my binary size by about half.

upx has its downsides. I prefer to bzip2 (verb) mplayer (noun) for now.

Then you have to bunzip2 it after download. The upx'ed file stays the same size on your hard drive. Does it expand into memory when used, and slow things down?).

Yes, it does expand into memory and make things slower which is why David and I both prefer bz2ing files.

Thanks,

Stephen Clement

David