baslinux - Re: [BL] framebuffer

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] framebuffer
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 16:09:33 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> > Apparently Xvesa works with these cards. Getting X to run on those
> > cards was why I built this kernel. It looks like that purpose has
> > already been fulfilled.
>
> Maybe some people prefer the looks of the framebuffer text modes?

If you want framebuffer, there are other kernels.

> If you rebuild that kernel again, besides leaving out the S3 stuff,
> could you add vfat and CD-ROM support? These VESA 2.0 cards are
> generally found in computers with plenty of RAM. Also I don't
> think you need to combine vesafb kernel with support for Matrox
> modules because the matrox does not seem to work with this kernel
> and should have a different one.

I'll leave that job to someone else.

> What is vfb.o?

Am I experiencing a bad case of deja vu, or did you already ask that?

> The first time I downloaded I got gibberish but on the second
> download I got a file that uncompressed just fine in BL2 but not in
> BL3. So I just copied over the modules I was missing instead.
> Maybe what you used to compress made a file that the busybox tar of
> BL3 cannot handle? I copied vesafb.tar.gz directly between linuxes
> on the same hard drive which has never given me problems before.

tar -zcf vesafb.tar.gz modules is what I used. I can't understand why
it would work with BL2, but not BL3.

> You posted three more times. Will go look.

This time, I'll concatenate everything into one message.

> But since you have already compiled it, and some people may prefer BL
> even if they have a newer computer (circa 1996 and 1997, I think),
> why not leave it at your site?

I'll leave it for now. When I run out of space, it'll be the first to go.

> > Fbset is the way to change resolution.
> Yes but I only for matrox and that would not work.

Good point. With vesafb, it's stuck at that resolution until you reboot.

> One website said to try
> one if the other did not work, which is why it would be helpful to
> have a framebuffer kernel and yours is probably half the size of
> whatever Slackware offers and boots much faster. I don't like using
> even bare.i .

How much longer does it take to load? If I move IDE to a module, the
kernel boots up so fast on my PII machine that the messages are a
blur.

> Someone please remind me how to extract individual modules from the
> file on CD. I would like to get FB_CON*.o.gz, for instance, along
> with matroxfb and a few others, without having to unpack it all.

tar -ztf first, to list all of the files. Then tar -zxf tarball.tar.gz
path/to/filename.ext path/to/nextfileyouwant.

David
once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com