baslinux - Re: [BL] Printing scanned files

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Printing scanned files
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 12:09:48 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> > I will build an FB kernel, with those patches. Per usual, look on my
> > website tomorrow for the zimage, and other stuff that you need.

It's ready now.

> The Framebuffer HOWTO had a list of things to compile into the
> kernel suh as 'unified accelerated driver' and various cards such
> as Matrox:
>
> I may have missed something: Advanced low-level drivers; Mono, 2 4
> 8 16 24 and 32 bpp packed, VGA text, Video selection, framebuffer
>
> For Matrox also Matrox acceleration and the modules for specific cards.
> fbmatrox? For other cards fbvesa.

I included both. matroxfb is a module.

> I could not follow what exactly to do with the framebuffer-capable
> kernel. Maybe you could try it first and list what you did? I
> think you need to set it up with an X-server but then all
> frame-buffer cards will work the same, right? The parport zip drive just
> arrived. Too many new toys all at once
> - your boot floppy for parport zip linux, the netpbm programs, and
> now a Kdrive.
>

> > David

OK. You need to switch kernels, of course. Grab the bzImage.gz from my
website. Uncompress it before use. Also get the vesafb.tar.gz file.
Now set up your bootloader to use my bzImage. When you boot into the new
kernel, you need to set the resolution you want. To do that, pass the
vga=xxxx boot parameter to the kernel. Pick one of the following for
xxxx:

| 640x480 800x600 1024x768 1280x1024
----+-------------------------------------
256 | 0x301 0x303 0x305 0x307
32k | 0x310 0x313 0x316 0x319
64k | 0x311 0x314 0x317 0x31A
16M | 0x312 0x315 0x318 0x31B

If you get a screen at the resolution you picked, you're ready to get
into X. So unpack the vesafb.tar.gz file, make sure you've got all the
fonts from BL3 installed, then first run

mknod /dev/fb0 c 29 0

to set up the framebuffer device. Then, run xfbdev from the vesafb.tar.gz
package. You should see the familiar large black X on salt-and-pepper
background.

> Any idea what do to with Feature Connector (M and L sizes), Mpeg
> Connector, and something 20 pin?

Probably for external add-ons that you purchase separately.

> So there is a default scroll mode? Shift-Page Up? (I had to remap
> my 84-key keyboard to use also PgUp).

Yes.

> Many thanks. I will gladly be the guinea pig. I have Trio64 and
> Virge already installed and can also try the Matrox if need be.

Directions for the matrox to follow later.

David
once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com