baslinux - Re: [BL] hd problem

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] hd problem
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 00:23:21 +0000 (UTC)

I need to corrent something I posted - the Seagate Disk Manager does do more than partition. The next Seagate drive I tried to use had no partition table either. DM let me 'restore MBR from backup' which took about a second, instead of needing to low-level format (which DM also does). I then partitioned with BL2 floppy disk fdisk in another 30 sec or so (instead of 30 min with PQMagic).

DM will zero fill and Seagate says this destroys 100% of data.
They have an option to zero-fill just the partition table, faster.

Our local bbs is about to destroy 20 or so 2GB drives in order to destroy data on them and I am trying to convince them that a zero fill would take longer but permit the drives to be reused. Anyone want to help by explaining how this works? It would be a complete zero-fill, not just the partition table. The people who made the decision are a nurse and someone who makes a living recording conferences for TV, and they insist that 'wiping out the data and rewriting' will not destroy the data. I understand that deleting files does not really make them unrecoverable but can one recover a file overwritten with zeros?

The Seagate website says zero fill takes several hours - dd took 40 min on 3GB. Does Seagate simply expect the drives to be larger? Or do they do it differently or better? They also said to use the Seagate zero fill utility for Seagate drives - will dd not accomplish the same thing?

Can I do scsi drives as of=/dev/sda if I find a scsi cable?