baslinux - Re: [BL] Xvesa

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Xvesa
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 14:33:55 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, James Miller wrote:

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

However, an improved Xvesa could be on the horizon.
I've just compiled a new Xvesa (using the new uClibc
library and version 4.3 of X). <snip>

Great news, Steven. I can probably do some limited testing on my 486
laptop that seems to only do 4 bit color. Thanks alot for your continued
efforts on this. Continuing development on BL3, and possible developments
for BL4 sound really interesting.

We will test on OUR Compaq 486 laptop that does 16M colors in DOS but only 4 (FOUR) colors with the current XVESA. It would be lovely if that problem were fixed. (But we were planning to put on BL2 in order to have a 'user' account - could you help me to compile the new Xvesa for BL2 if Delilinux does not do so?)

This also provides an opportunity to mention something I came across in my
web travels, the relevance of which to BL development I wondered about.
Seems like an implementation similar to Xvesa, but not quite the same.
Seems a bit more experimental and alpha-ish. Nevertheless, I submit for
your perusal the following url: http://www.directfb.org . Anything
pertinent there? I confess to being somewhat mystified as to: 1) what it
does; 2) what is its status; 3) how/whether it would be useful for BL; and
4) how it differs from, or is like, Xvesa.

Does fb require a newer graphics chip (VESA 2.0 standard)? If so, it is not suitable for older pentiums.

Xvesa is pretty alpha itself. But it is working with our Virge cards where Win98 is having problems (odd colored bits, and the CD-burner program refuses to work with it at all).

James