baslinux - [BL] XVESA on a Compaq 486 laptop - impossible pallette format

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] XVESA on a Compaq 486 laptop - impossible pallette format
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 20:27:45 +0000 (UTC)

Compaq 486 75MHZ DX with 24MB RAM, displays images nicely in DOS. Won't work right with FreeDOS - stray 7's appear (8 of them after the prompt whenbooting - 2 added to beginning of filewhen using a text editor, 1 instead of y/n when you try to reformat the hard disk) so we switched to MSDOS7.1. Using himem.sys and emm386.exe, which have never given XVESA problems before.

I set up for 640x480 4-bit color, PS/2 mouse 2 button (there is a trackball) and then typed startx. Along with the usual font path not found I am told: Impossible pallette format.

Has anyone else had either the 7 or the pallette problem?

I will try DOS viewers and then maybe SVGALIB and zgv.