baslinux - Re: [BL] BasLinux.gz

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BasLinux.gz
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 01:07:29 +0000 (UTC)

I have been unable to replace the busybox ls with the real ls in the ramdisk BL3 while running it, because both cp and ls are part of busybox which is of course 'busy'.

Should I try the mount -o loop method while running a different BL, on the bl3.gz that I made?
mount -o loop bl3 /tmp

Then cp ls to it, and umount it? I could first copy bl3.gz to the hard disk from the floppy disk, also copy ls to there, and boot to bl3 ramdisk and modify the copy on hard disk.

Is there some way (on a computer with 12MB RAM) to do this in a second ramdisk instead of a hard disk? I would need to make a 4MB ramdisk and somehow get bl3 copied from fd and gunzipped on it.

I think I somehow managed to cp ls to the BL3 on the 386 (loop version) - I wonder how? In the ramdisk version it refused, it was busy.

sindi keesan wrote:

--------------------------------
mount -o loop /hd/baslinux /tmp
--------------------------------

I don't understand the -o and loop business

It simply says to mount /hd/baslinux as a loop
device. /hd/baslinux is a file. A file cannot
be mounted directly, so it is mapped to a device.
mount does not do this mapping automatically, so
you have to use the option (-o) parameter.

-o loop means to use the option 'loop' which you need in order to mount a file instead of a partition?

Do you have a loop-type method of modifying BL3?

Can the Bl3-ramdisk version be modified using a loop?
You said it was very difficult to modify and the only way I came up with was to change the boot procedure to be like Bl2 ramdisk instead of us lilo.

Of course. Every modification to the BL3 root
filesystem (loop device) is automatically recorded
in fs.img. No special procedure is needed.