baslinux - [BL] .img vs .raw

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] .img vs .raw
  • Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 20:29:16 +0000 (UTC)

We have a 2X CD-ROM burner that works in DOS with DOS cdroast, but the cd2file program there will read only from the burner, and the burner won't read scratched disks. We are trying to copy the SW3.1 installation disk.

The burner for some reason is no longer burning CDs with cdrecord in linux, though it used to. But linux readcd will read our very worst disk (eventually, tho it gave up near the end) so we made a .raw file from it.

We copied the .raw file to the DOS cdroast directory and renamed it image.img because cd2file makes image.img files. We tried to burn that and it appeared to burn and fixate but the resulting CD had no data on it. (The same program copied an unscratched CD yesterday).

Is .img different from .raw?

My error messages from cdrecord (when it gets that far instead of telling us it cannot write to disk in the first place) involve:
input/output error...retryable error
medium error, Segment 0
power calibration error
Blk0 not valid
Resource temporarily unavailable. OPC failed

Someone else had a similar problem on one linux machine but the same hardware worked with another linux machine. For us it works with DOS but not linux. Probably some default is set differently. The drive used to work in linux so must be failing somehow. Or it does not like our new batch of cheap blanks? Someone else with the problem tried different brands and that did not fix it. They could write but not blank CD-RWs.

The drive works in DOS and we would like to be able to read cds with BL2 and then copy them to DOS to record them since the DOS program won't read from a regular CD-ROM reader and that is what we need to read the SW32 CD which is scratched so we can use it for BL3. Cdroast (DOS) won't even read the relatively good SW4.0 disk past 76%.

We have a different burner that won't work at all in linux due to a bug in kernels before 2.6 (unless I learn to recompile the module(s)).

Someone suggested we get hold of one CD-RW instead of destroying CD-Rs.