baslinux - [BL] some DOS/Linux mail transport issues

  • From: cce.zizkov AT volny.cz
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] some DOS/Linux mail transport issues
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 09:54:08

On 13 Dec 04 at 22:41, dos AT lieber.com.ar wrote:

>Christov:
>
>I'll answer your 3 emails in one.
>I had to copy /root/Mail/inbox with your 3 emails in one file (Mutt
>Linux) to C:\pmail\dos\123.cnm (DOS Pegasus Mail) as I cannot reply
>from Linux.

As we are experiencing many problems with mail (actually rather spam
than mail) download these days I came to the conclusion to establish
Linux software as the main way of mail transport in our office.

So I am working at a mutation of BL2 RAM version that will

- boot,
- upload and download mail with pmail (Linux) with mailboxes and
configuration files sitting on the DOS partion
- shutdown the system

I found a small utility to convert inbox to single files fitting
into Pegasus mail and wrote a script that prepares outgoing mail
for pmail. But there are still a few things to debug. I hope to
finish this today and will post it somewhere online. It is more urgent
than Mutt packet.

>I download my mail with FDSMTPOP.EXE for DOS. It allows 3 types of
>authentication when using SMTP.

My second favourite mail transport agent. But I still prefer Arachne
for the multiple undisclosed recipients (@list ind BCC: field)
feature. There has been done much work on SMTP authentication during
the last versions of Arachne. Are you sure that Arachne cannot do the
job?

>I didn't keep Steven's email.
>To see if it is a problem with my configuration of Pegasus, Steven
>should send you a DIRECT email to you.

If the message is lost we probably will not find out what was the
problem.

>> a) Did you try to find an alternative mail transport agent (Google)?
>> There definetely is quite a few of them.
>
>I looked at smail but did not find SMTP authentication there.

Sorry, I am no expert and I do not even know whether and how my
providers perform authentication. But yesterday I found out:

- The default very small .pmailrc configuration files coming with BL2
and BL3 contain at least one mistake: in the smpt line you are not
expected to enter 'user:password', but rather 'reply-address:password'
On my configuration outgoing mail was refused by the server until
I got this line fixed. (Steven, could you change this in the next BL3
release?)

- It is really worth while to study the rather long and abundantly
commented pmailrc sample file I included into the Mutt packets (in
the /usr/doc/Mutt directory). It seems as if pmail has good
capability to authenticate if you provide the necessary data to it.
And if not: pmail is still maintained and developped, the DOS
software depends on the enthusiasm of very few programmers.

I meant if you tried to register at volny.cz or seznam.cz?

>I use loadkeys and es.map with my spanish keyboard from SW 4.0.
>Exellent.
>It even allows me to input ~ using Alt Gr + 4 .
>~ is not included in the spanish keyboard.
>In Dos or Windows I have to key alt + 126.

Thank you! So I know what to include into Mutt packet.

Christof

Christof Lange <cce.zizkov AT volny.cz>
Prokopova 4, 130 00 Praha 3, Czech Republic
phone: (+420) 222 78 06 73 / 222 78 20 02 / 603 18 87 53
http://www.volny.cz/cce.zizkov