baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 on 386sx no-copro update

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 on 386sx no-copro update
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 22:21:21 +0000 (UTC)

I read that some early 386 SX 25s would not run linux because of a problem with how they handled floating point operations and divide-by-zero, which I think would only affect models which have a coprocessor (387 chip). We have one of these, a Midwest Micro. Their 486 SX 25s are said to work.
Would it help to remove the 387 chip and then try BL3 again? (I think it was compiled to do floating point emulation via software). Or is there some way to disable the 387 in CMOS or via some command?

We already have loop BL3 on there and loadlin boot crashes, as does the 2-floppy lilo version, with a black screen followed by a few HD-light blinks. Is this a divide-by-zero type crash?

I had to compile kermit without floating point support for a 486 which might have a similar problem.