baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3-32 on laptop via serial cable?

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3-32 on laptop via serial cable?
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 21:35:27 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Yes, send compresses, receive decompresses.
It makes the transfer faster.

I have been using send and receive to send .tgz
files and they seem to arrive as .tgz files
(uncompressed). ?

tgz files are compressed. That's what the z means.

Yes, so why did 'receive' not uncompress the .tgz file that I sent?

Where does the original .tgz file go,

The original doesn't go anywhere. It remains on
the local filesystem.

is it deleted by your receive script?

No. There is no tgz on the remote filesystem.
The data is piped (via netcat) to tar (on the
remote filesystem), which unpacks the package.

This sounds like just what I was after. I will try it soon after fixing the C: drive on my desktop computer.

Then I could use links to send .tgz files without
having to type the name of them?

Yes.

But if I made the new association then I could
not use links to view the contents of the file?

I think that's right. However, sometimes in links
I select a file and it gives me a choice of options.
Perhaps it is possible to define two different
associations and then links will offer a choice?