baslinux - Re: [BL] new add-on for BL3

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] new add-on for BL3
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 19:20:30 +0000

On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 05:45:12PM +1200, 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
wrote:

> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/baslinux/add-ons/links2.tgz
>
> The package is less than 2mb in size and it runs happily
> on the default BL3 (no other packages are needed). Just
> pkg links2.tgz and it will automatically appear in your
> swm menu (in the Internet submenu).
>
> I would be grateful if some of you would try it and tell
> me whether it is OK.

Can't get icewm or links2 working yet after installing them.

I have a previous version of BL3 (without the presentation program) and
apparently you have since added a /usr/local/bin to the path, since icewm
and links2 both installed themselves there and cannot be run unless I go
to that directory or use the full path name. I just added to the end of
the PATH line in /etc/rc :/usr/local/bin - is this correct?

.xinitrc has the swm lines remarked out and icewm line added.

startx does not load icewm, just Xvesa (patterned screen with a big X).

As an experiment I typed
Xvesa &rxvt
then manually typed into the rxvt
/usr/local/bin/icewm
Can't load libXext.so.6
It is there in /usr/X11R6/lib/ with a symlink from X11 to X11R6.
ldd shows that icewm looks for all its X lib files in /usr/X11.
Do I need to add some other symlink so that icewm can find libraries?

links2:

In the rxvt or in console mode I type /usr/local/bin/links2 and
am told 'floating point error'. I got that with the precompiled kermit
and had to recompile it to avoid this error (there was a switch
-KFLAGS=-DNOFLOAT that compiled without floating point).

What can I do to the older loop BL3 to make it work with these two addons?
Is the kernel changed to avoid the floating point error? If so I will
copy it from floppy disk and try it in the loop version. Why can't icewm
find that library? (And possibly all the other libraries - this was
listed first by ldd and they are mostly in the same location).

I am hoping to set up BL3 on hard drive after we finish
low-level-formatting the other linux drive (2 MB - only 750 of 775
cylinders left to format and it has only been 2 hours) and/or find a
replacement floppy drive for the 486 laptop (which has PCMCIA modem).

Do you have a Changelog for BL3?

Would 200MB be overkill if I am going to be compiling on these?