baslinux - Re: [BL] Sound works (workbone), Realaudio won't install in Xvesa

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Sound works (workbone), Realaudio won't install in Xvesa
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 00:49:37 +0000

On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 10:29:17AM +1000, Ron Clarke wrote:
> Hi Sindi,
>
> On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 03:02:51 +0000
> sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
>
> > I also wrote a script for the above but it installed the first two
> > modules
> > and refused to install sound.o, just gave me lots of error messages. I
> > had a similar problem trying to do plip with a script. I think someone
> > said to incorporate pauses. What exactly does your sound-on look like?
>
> It is attached.

It looks just like mine. I think I probably forgot to boot with bare.i
before trying the script. The #!/bin/bash is probably not needed here
since insmod is not a bash command. I did not need it for the ess solo
card, anyway. Just the four lines to insmod four modules (no v_midi or
uart401 needed for ess).

> > > Yes, but you will also need the sound patches.
> > Some day. I think you said they were quite large.
>
> Yep. I collected the 23 MB set.

I was hoping the 11M of RP would play midis but no such luck, just wavs.
Is there something smaller to play with that does not use sound patches
just FM synthesis for midis?

> > > Mplayer needs much more extra libraries. I haven't even tried it
> > > yet.
> > > I found xine works though, with the two libraries from SW9.1 !!!
> > Supposedly it also does movies.
>
> Yes, xine is a movie player.
>
> > Is there any linux program that just
> > plays Windows Media sound files?
>
> Bothe xine and mplayer wil play Windows Media files.

Which is smaller and did anyone compile for glibc 2.2.5?
I found mplayer for SW9 and 10 but nothing earlier at linuxpackages and
did not find it on the SW71 CD - is there a SW71 version around?

Why do you need to download a blasted movie player in order to listen to
online radio???

Have you tried using Realaudio with links2 instead of Netscape or Opera?
There is something in setup about file extensions. It might need to be
done from X not SVGAlib to make Realaudio happy. I will give it a try.