baslinux - [BL] BL3 works with PCMCIA modem!

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] BL3 works with PCMCIA modem!
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 23:25:39 -0400 (EDT)

cd /etc/pcmcia

look at config and notice something about serial_cs
(cs - card services?)
look at start and this is a script that does insmod pcmcia_core, i82365,
and ds, then cardmgr -o (configure cards and exit, see man cardmgr)

Type start

Look at dmesg and notice something about tty01 and IRQ3.
IRQ 3 is typically Com2.

Change pppsetup from ttyS0 (Com1, which I just used with the external
modem) to ttyS1 (Com2)

(after a few other experiments such as tty01 and ttyS2 - which worked in
the other laptop because Com2 was infrared something or other so the
PCMCIA modem was Com3)

ppp-on - dials and connects and I telnetted here to write mail

Other references to cardmgr and pcmcia in the baslinux archives were for
PCMCIA networking. I discovered that ibiblio.org also hosts lists for
NAFEX (North American Fruit Explorers) and Seedsavers and some
permaculture groups.

Can I do file transfer via this PCMCIA modem and another computer with a
modem, using pppd?

Now if only the floppy drive would behave.... I had better install-to-hd
before it dies altogether.