baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 in 3M with links and viewer

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 in 3M with links and viewer
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 11:09:16 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > How much RAM does the kernel take up?
>
> Approximately 2mb.
>
> > The Xvesa route is clearly not going to work in 3M RAM,
>
> Nor will seejpeg.
>
> > I add things up to 2516 (2.5K) plus whatever RAM the
> > kernel uses,
>
> That comes to more than 4mb.
>
> > So in theory it should be possible to go online and browse
> > and display one 640x480 image at a time with BL3 and links.
>
> Your theory ignores the RAM occupied by the kernel (which is
> not swapable).

Right, I forgot that the kernel (under 500K, probably compressed) occupies
more than 500K RAM. I doubt I can even use links without graphics in 3MB
RAM. I guess that is a DOS computer. But in the process I learned that
you can run seejpeg in greyscale. I could not find a way to do this with
xli or zgv (not that I understood the entire help file) - is there?
Links2 -g (svgalib) needed at least 16 color to run.

Greyscale uses less RAM than 24-bit 'color' on a mono monitor, which many
older laptops have (including some 486s). I think it ought to be possible
to use BL3 with greyscale seejpeg in a bit more RAM - maybe 4MB with swap
partition, which I don't think would be enough for Xvesa/xli 16 color
(which also looks worse than greyscale). Seejpeg is about 70K but I
forgot to check dependencies. It does slide shows and quite a bit more.
Is there any other REALLY basic and small viewer for BL3 that needs less
RAM than seejpeg?