baslinux - Re: [BL] new BL3 - version 3.10

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] new BL3 - version 3.10
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 09:12:55 -0500 (CDT)

Sounds interesting. I hope to find some time to try it out. I do intend
to get that laptop going again, and I could maybe help out with some
PCMCIA stuff if I did. Unfortunately, the thing has no floppy drive nor
any current network connection, so the only way I can load anything onto
it is by removing the HD and sticking it in another machine (ugh). I've
got a snippet of free time floating around here and there these days, so
if I get to this project, I'll be posting to the list about it.

On a separate note: I have upgraded recently on my newer Debian system to
the 2.6 kernel (2.6.5) and am seeing noticeable improvements in system
performance. The system has never run so well under any of the 2.4
kernels I've loaded on it: I run an emulator - vmware - on it for some Win
software I need for my studies and there's really no comparing the way it
ran under 2.4 with the way it runs under 2.6. Much faster. That holds
for everything else on the system: with alot of apps open, things used to
get a bit bogged down. Now, I've got as many apps open as I usually did
under 2.4 but I notice no degradation in system performance. I really
would like to see what a correctly configured 2.6 kernel would do on a 486
or older machine. If it gives the same effect I notice on my 1Ghz
Celeron, it will really be worth the upgrade. If I can be of any help in
compiling such a kernel for testing on BL, please let me know, Steven.
I've got some decent system resources on which to do it, if that would be
a help to you.

James