baslinux - [BL] BL2 with Xvesa and rxvt

  • From: keesan AT iamjlamb.com
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] BL2 with Xvesa and rxvt
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 13:22:05 -0500 (EST)

I installed xbin xlib xpm xfnts xf100 and bl2-x (the latter may
not be needed) in BL2. I deleted some things from locale since
I don't plan to use Chinese, Japanese, or Thai fonts. There is
still a lot of probably unneeded stuff in X11R6/bin/ but we
have a large hard drive on that computer.

startx does not work, not surprisingly. I did not install xcfg.tgz.

Xvesa & rxvt -e wm (or twm, or icewm)

produces a default rxvt window in a window manager in the default font.

Xvesa -screen 1024x768x12 & rxvt -g 145x50 -cr darkcyan -e icewm

gives something familiar looking with a full-sized rxvt.

It won't work with xterm for rxvt here, or exec or & for -e.

Two problems:

In BL3 I can change font size with -fn 11x17 but here I still get the
default tiny font. Where/how do I change the default font for rxvt?.

I cannot get this to work as an alias or script. Typing in the exact
same line that works after a prompt as alias x='....' or in a script
gets me only as far as the big X (at 640 res) on the mottled greyish
background, not to the 1024 resolution or an rxvt or wm. Why?

I had Xvesa working in several aliases with startx on the previous setup.

startx -- /usr/X11R6/bin/Xvesa -screen 1024x768x16

gave icewm at 1024

I had the previous computer set up with an X server (xcfg and bl2-x)
before I started to use Xvesa instead (for more color depth).
startx -- /usr/X11R6/bin/Xvesa -screen 800x600x12
worked as an alias there. It does not work here.

In this BL2 .xinitrc has the line 'icewm' in it and nothing else.

Opera will not run at the default 4-bit Xvesa color depth (grey background)
Xvesa looks rather bad at 8 or 10 bit color, did not try Opera. Xvesa
is muddy green on peacock blue. 12 bit works fine.