baslinux - Re: +[SurvPC] Re: [BL] Communications program

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: +[SurvPC] Re: [BL] Communications program
  • Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 14:43:21 +1300 (NZDT)

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
>
> How do I figure out what it expands to?

Execute top. It will show you the RSS (real storage size) for
all your running processes. The RSS for links-ssl is nearly
1.2mb. The RSS for the links in BL3 is 500kb.

This is not an issue for people with more than 8mb RAM, but it
could be a show-stopper for people with 4mb RAM.

> The uncompressed links 0.93 is 488K and the compressed links-ssl
> is about 400K.

The links in BL3 is 429kb.

> We tested it at three secure sites already - one bbs and two
> webmail sites.

I'm glad it is working OK. Should be a pretty good add-on for
BL1, BL2 or BL3. I believe the ssh at basiclinux.com.ru also
works on any version.

> Perhaps you can recompile it to leave out support for other
> languages and character sets

It was compiled in diet-libc (which I do not have) and them
compressed with UPX (which I also do not have). Moreover,
removing a few language files is not going to change the
footprint very much. I've tried that in the past without
gaining a significant reduction in size.

> I have copied eznet.conf and resolv.conf to the BL2 directory
> on my hard drive and will copy them over manually back to the
> RAMdisk every time unless you can tell me some way to have that
> happen while booting.

Why don't you edit baslinux.gz and customize it to do exactly
what you want?
(1) gunzip baslinux.gz
(2) mount baslinux -- first you'll need to 'insmod loop'
' then mount -o loop baslinux /mnt
(3) cd /mnt and change what you want
(4) when you are done, umount /mnt and gzip baslinux