baslinux - Re: [BL] connecting to ISP

  • From: "Sheldon Isaac" <sisaac AT netaxs.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] connecting to ISP
  • Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 17:04:58 -0400

> > When I say ppp-on, I see on the screen about as follows:
> >
> > Serial connection established
> > Connect: ppp0 <-> /dev/ttyS3
> > Remote message: FASTNET_RAS
> > PAP authorization FAILED
>
> This is a user/password problem. Don't worry about the
> idle, baud, tty and phone entries. They are OK. You either
> have some sort of typographical error in your user/password
> or your ISP has changed it's authentication server or that
> server is malfunctioning or you have a permission problem
> somewhere (eznet gets tripped up on permissions very easily).
>
> 1st question: are you able to log on to that account using
> ' a different OS/browser?

Yes, been using that user name and password for years with Windows, as
right now.

> 2nd question: are you running BL2 as root?

Yes. Although I moved all the files from G:/BL to C:/BL.
Should I re-expand the files to that directory from the original zip file?

> 3rd question: are you running BL2 on the same hardware where
> it succeeded previously

Yes, it's my ASUS P5A computer with two hard drives; C: and D: are on one
drive, E:, F: and G: on the other.
BasicLinux puts itself in a RAMdrive.

> > the eznet.conf from my DOS/Win HD, which I edit (pppsetup)
> > into the one on the BL RAMdisk after booting and mounting.
>
> It is possible that this process is introducing a permission
> problem or some other error. I suggest you do a clean boot
> and enter the pppsetup data by hand, and see if that connects.

I tried, no success. Will look again at permissions.

Got through to their support staff, was told We don't support Linux much.

He did give me addresses for nameservers to put into /var/resolv.conf ??
But that wouldn't affect authenticating?

Thanks,

Sheldon Isaac