baslinux - [BL] File manager

  • From: Ken Martwick <kenm AT efn.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] File manager
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 16:54:52 -0700 (PDT)

I have been writing a small file manager
for linux which has been heavily influenced
by Norton Commander for DOS and by Miguel
Icaza's Midnight Commander. I did not find
an I/O library that I really liked, but fin-
ally settled on ncurses as the best of what
I have seen. My program is near completion,
but a strange situation is becoming clear;
the colors (from ncurses) are correct if and
only if the program is run on a system that
does not have v.2.0 series kernel! With a
v.2.2 or v.2.4 kernel, all is well, but the
color specifications for v.2.0 must change
to wrong values. I am not quite ready for
a general publication of the program, but
verification of the color situation would
be worthwhile. I have made a package with
source cade and pre-compiled binaries that
I could email to anyone who wants to test
them. The binaries are static; the pack-
age is less than 340Kb.
Ken Martwick