baslinux - Re: [BL] Mozilla on a 486-66 with 16mb RAM

  • From: "Krzysztof A. Suchecki" <christopher.suchecki AT wp.pl>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Mozilla on a 486-66 with 16mb RAM
  • Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 13:28:49 +0200

>The lesson here is that a 486 (on its own) has difficulty
>running up-to-date graphical applications. But network it
>to a more powerful machine, and that 486 can run anything
>the more powerful machine can.

Remember that in this case 486 is like a prince.
The whole job is done by somebody else.

I wonder if old 486 could run OpenOffice 1.03
with powerful Celeron (128MB RAM) as a slave. :)

> 32MB RAM

for sure 32MB RAM is not enough for up-to-date apps
- even if you run them with dividing tasks for 2 PCs.

>Old 10Mbps network cards are throw-away items,
>a crossover cable costs a few dollars.

I don't how in NZ, but in PL combo NICs (coax/UTP) for ISA
are quite easy to get as thrown-away items and
cost less than USD 2. Unfortunately new mainboards
don't have ISA slots.

In general I use UTP but cheap hubs for old PCs is a problem.

Chris

"Oszukac przeznaczenie 2" Zobacz koniecznie! W kinach od 9 maja!
< http://film.wp.pl/p/film.html?id=2141&h=3106253 >