baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 and Lynx 2.8.4-ssl and Opera 6 - no crashes (yet)

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 and Lynx 2.8.4-ssl and Opera 6 - no crashes (yet)
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 09:59:33 -0400 (EDT)

There is a pdf2html which displays images as well as text.
Slackware 7.1 has an xpdf package for xpdf 0.90.
There is a newer version (2.02) at
ftp.foolabs.com/pub/xpdf/xpdf-2.02-linux.tar.gz

I was surprised to find that it was compiled for Kernel 2.2 and glibc
2.1.3. It is about 6M.

Can someone with the Slackware 7.1 CDs post the pdftotext file? There is
also pdftopbm if you want to see the images separately. You would need
something that views pbm images - does zgv? The DOS port of pdftopbm (by
Doug Kaufman) is not as reliable as ghostscript - it messes up some
pdf images in complicated format.

If nobody has the CDs I can download the 6M xpdf package to a friend's
server (connected to a 27K/sec DSL line) and extract the file there. The
DOS version (as found in Arachne, and I think also posted somewhere) is
170K.

Has anyone tried ghostscript (console version) as a pdf viewer for lynx?

I also have Lynx set up (at my bbs) to use Links as a downloader - if you
hit a page with frames or tables and want to view it with Links, you
download the page and Links appears on the list of choices (save to home
directory, mail it, print it, view with links...). This loads links
automatically for you, views the page, and unloads it, I think.