b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] A simple question before this list is closed up - half-shekel

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Oun Kwon <kwonbbl AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] A simple question before this list is closed up - half-shekel
  • Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 22:08:50 -0500

The value of mina converted drachma shows up on google search (not
much there, except wiki) is to be 100 drachmas (drachmae?).

Unfortunately, that contradicts what the Scripture says.

In Mt 17:24 the temple-tax is called didrachma. If it is equivalent to
a half-shekel,
1 mina should be 200 drachmas.

Here is my elementary arithmetic.

1 mina = 200 drachmas = 50 shekels. Then 1 shekel = 4 drachmas; 1/2
shekel = 2 drachmas

If 1 mina =100 drachmas, then 1 shekel = 2 drachmas; 1/2 shekel = 1 drachma.

Even with my aging brain, I think something is wrong when someone
comes up some value. It is probably that one was quoting from someone
else who quoted from some other, and so on.

Thank you for your thought.

Oun Kwon.

I hope this question is within b-Hebrew list.

  • [b-hebrew] A simple question before this list is closed up - half-shekel, Oun Kwon, 10/01/2013