b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Can't find the root and meaning in the lexicon, any help?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jesper Fontain <fontain AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Can't find the root and meaning in the lexicon, any help?
  • Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2013 23:53:40 +0200

Dear list,

Can you help me with the root and meaning of the word:

מַבְחִין

It appears in Sepher Yetzirah in chapter 6, section 5 here: http://www.sacred-texts.com/jud/sy/sy07.htm (the online text is full of errors, but the consonants in this specific word is as it appears in several of the manuscripts).

I've tried looking it up in various forms in Jastrow and the lexicons that comes with BibleWorks, but with no luck.

I've googled it, and in modern contexts it seems to mean "notice, discern, distinguish". One translator of Sepher Yetzirah translates it as "brings to light", and another as "marks out".

How do I look it up?

Kind regards,
Jesper