b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] text on the BH verb structure

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Kimmo Huovila <kimmo.huovila AT kolumbus.fi>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] text on the BH verb structure
  • Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 19:08:04 +0300

It is not so much that semantic aspect, tense, and mood are poorly defined,
but grammatical categories of aspect, tense, and mood need not be exactly the
same as the semantic definitions. If there is sufficient overlap, then we can
call the form aspect, tense, or mood. Often the grammatical categories are
intertwined with respect to the semantic ones.

To give an English illustration, the traditional past tense (as a grammatical
category) does not correspond exactly to the semantic past tense, as
expressed by the fact that present-referring counterfactual conditionals use
the past tense. There is no trouble defining pastness, it's just that
pastness does not correspond 100 % with the past tense as a grammatical
category. There is significant overlap, though, justifying calling the form
past tense. Thus "*I went there tomorrow" is not right.

Perhaps Hebrew should be approached the same way, except that there are less
grammatical categories used to code TAM, so we should expect tense, aspect,
and mood to be even more intertwined.

Kimmo Huovila