b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] qamatz and patax

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Jonathan Mohler <jonathan.mohler AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] qamatz and patax
  • Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 21:22:01 -0400

The "modern" Hebrew, or the Eretz Israel, crisp, minimal, Torah reading system is based on a careful calibration of both the Ashkenazi and the Sephardi traditions, both of which certainly carry in them very old reading traditions.
The point is that in this reading system the qamatz, the patax and the xatapim are pronounced exactly the same way, and this, with no apparent injury to the context.
The common present-day reader of the HB (including yours sincerely) upon seeing the punctuated line below, would not know if it is truly

עֹלַת שַׁבַּת בְּשַׁבַּתּוֹ עַל-עֹלַת הַתָּמִיד וְנִסְכָּהּ
or
עֹלַת שַׁבַּת בְּשַׁבַּתּוֹ עַל-עֹלַת הַתַּמִיד וְנִסְכַּהּ
or
עֹלָת שָׁבָּת בְּשָׁבָּתוֹ עָל-עֹלָת הָתָמִיד וְנִסְכָּהּ

Spoken Hebrew decisively proves thereby that, notwithstanding what the punctuators of the HB "heard", (where? In the street, in the synagogue?) equating the reading of qamatz to the reading the patax leaves the meaning of the biblical text immutable.

Isaac Fried, Boston University