b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] By Whose God did Goliath Curse and Where did David Take his Head?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jerry Shepherd <jshepherd53 AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] By Whose God did Goliath Curse and Where did David Take his Head?
  • Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 23:11:16 -0600

Hi Yigal,

I think Ken has made the case for the god being one of the Philistine deities.

Here are a few observations, primarily of a biblical-theological nature, that may or may not shed some light on the second question.

(1) Taking for granted that the answer to the first question is that it is indeed a Philistine deity, the Goliath/David battle takes on the character of a battle between deities.  Who will be victorious, the god who has been called on to curse David, or the God for whose honor David has been zealous.

(2) The Deuteronomic historian (if you believe in such), in this story, is demonstrating how the blessing given to Abraham is rightly being passed on to his descendant David.  "I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse" (Gen 12:3).  David's rule over the whole land of Israel will fulfill the Abrahamic blessing in Gen 12.

(3) Even as the Chronicler makes an Abraham/Jerusalem connection by equating the temple site with Abraham's Mt. Moriah, the Deuteronomic historian provides a proleptic connection between David and Jerusalem before David actually becomes king.

(4) David's taking Goliath's head to Jerusalem, then,  serves several purposes.  It serves a proleptic picture of David's future conquest of the city and his appropriation of  it for his capitol.  It puts the Jebusites on warning that the fate of Goliath may be their fate as well, if they do not cooperate with David's plans.  When the Jebusites defy David later on, "You will not get in here," thinking "David cannot get in here" (2 Sam 5:6), the narrator has already related that David was already there, and laid claim to the city by depositing Goliath's head there.  Furthermore, David is completing the promise made earlier to Abraham regarding the possession of the whole land of Canaan.  Abraham had already "marked the spot."  David re-marked it by depositing Goliath's head.  And then, ultimately, he conquers it.

Blessings,

Jerry

Jerry Shepherd
Taylor Seminary