b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] genitive PP suffix

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jonathan Mohler <jonathan.mohler AT gmail.com>
  • To: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] genitive PP suffix
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 00:05:27 -0500

On Jul 24, 2013, at 5:53 PM, Isaac Fried wrote:

What I have said is that I tend to think that corresponding to
את, אתה, אתם AT, ATAH, ATEM,

Interesting to me is how wide spread this dental form is throughout European languages: tu, toi, ta, ti, du, thou, etc..

there was in use, in some corner of Hebrew
אך, אכה, אכם AK, AKAH, AKEM

This one shows up in Bantu as 2sg affixes; accusatives ku and khu, genitives -ako, -akho

(a hint of which we find in אנוכי ANOKIY and אנחנו ANAXNU), that survived
only as a "suffix" personal pronoun (PP) to express the "genitive",
to wit, אמך IMKA = EM-AKAH, 'your mother'.

cf. Swahili MAMAKO, 'your mother'

ANOKIY has a cousin as well: Swahili, -ANGU --> babangu, 'my father' and Luyia -ANGE omwanange, 'my son'

Another fossil is the אתי ATIY, instead of אני ANIY, left frozen as a "suffix" in the
compound שברתי $ABARTIY = $ABAR-ATIY, 'I have broken'.

I never thought about this one.
The 1st person nominative subject prefix for the immediate future in Luyia is a nasalized derivative of *ATIY, NDA.

Isaac Fried, Boston University

Jonathan Mohler
Baptist Bible Graduate School
Springfield, MO