b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 127, Issue 37

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jonathan Mohler <jonathan.mohler AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 127, Issue 37
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 12:23:56 -0500

On Jul 22, 2013, at 8:19 PM, b-hebrew-request AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

On 22 Jul 2013, at 13:53, Isaac Fried wrote:

Bear in mind that many of the biblical heroines, Rebekah, Rachel,
Lea, Ruth, Esther, were just little girls (if I correctly remembers
Rashi says Rebekah was 3 years old when she married Isaac, then she
was "childless").

Abraham may very well have asked his servant to bring a child that they could raise up for Isaac; the story, however, does not read this way.

The fact that Ruth was still a childless widow at
the time, means she was about 14 years old. How old was Naomi? I
would say about 30.

I'll buy that.  I agree with Jim also that Rebekah may have been 15, although he bases this on a half-year shanah.

Isaac Fried, Boston University

Jonathan Mohler
Baptist Bible Graduate School
Springfield, MO

  • Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 127, Issue 37, Jonathan Mohler, 07/23/2013