b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ruth 1:12 too old for a husband

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jonathan Mohler <jonathan.mohler AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ruth 1:12 too old for a husband
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 13:17:33 -0500

This idea is still reflected in some modern languages.  In Swahili, and to my knowledge in all Bantu languages, the man is always the agent of the verb "marry" or "take" (in marriage).  The woman does not take him, she is taken by him.  This is related to the fact that he "acquires" her, just as in BH.  A man marries, the woman "is married."  By analogy in BH when the man takes the woman (to be to him a wife), the verb would be a qal, while if a woman is taken, I would expect the niphal.

In our English vows, we ask "do you take this man,"  In Swahili, It would be more like "do you agree to be taken."

Jonathan Mohler
Baptist Bible Graduate School
Springfield, MO