b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 12:13

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rolf" <rolf.furuli AT sf-nett.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 12:13
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 08:05:19 +0200

Dear Yigal,

The NUN in Daniel 12:13 may indicate an Aramaic influence. However, that may
not signal a late date for the writing of the book. I am working on a book
manuscript entitled "When was the Book of Daniel Written? A Linguistic,
Philological, and Historical Approach," where different ideas regarding the
time of writing are discussed. The Aramaic of Daniel resembles Imperial
Aramaic, that was widely used in Babylonia and Assyria in the seventh century
BCE. It does not resemble the Aramaic used in the DSS of the second century
BCE. In order to uphold a late date, one has to use the ad hoc argument that
a second century BCE writer mimicked Imperial Aramaic so the manuscript would
look old.

The key figure suggesting a second century date is Antiochus IV. There are
many circular arguments in connection with the application of verses in
chapters 11 and 8 to this king. The real problem is that in spite of what is
commonly believed, we have very little exact knowledge about this king
apart from what we find in the books of the Maccabees. A very fine discussion
of this is found in "Antiochus IV of Syria" Classica et Mediaevalia
Dissertations VIIII. Otto Mörkholm, 1966. Several things in the book of
Daniel that have been applied to this king do not fit, and other things are
ambiguous. It is possible to give different interpretations of all the verses
that have been applied to this king, to the point where Antiochus IV is not
mentioned in the book of Daniel at all.

On the basis of the Hebrew and Aramaic of the book, the textual variations of
the DSS manuscripts of the book and other versions of it, and its historical
contents, a good case can be made for a sixth century BCE writing. (In
connection with the conclusion of an early writing of the whole book, the
possibility that the core of the book is old but that the redaction and final
writing of it occurred in the second century, is discussed. However, evidence
for this is lacking.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
Stavern