b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Five Rules for root-identification

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Petr Tomasek <petr.tomasek AT evangnet.cz>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Sasson Margaliot <sasson AT live.com>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Five Rules for root-identification
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 19:57:13 -0400

If I understand you correctly you are claiming that:

1. The Babylonian NIYQUD has an external sign (not an internal dot) for the "dagesh hazak".

2. The dot inside the letter was introduced by the NAKDANIYM (the "masoretes" of Tiberias), to denote, in the situation of a "dagesh hazak", the "gemination" of the consonant.

Isaac Fried, Boston University