b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 126, Issue 42

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Sasson Margaliot <sasson AT live.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 126, Issue 42
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 11:34:05 +0300

"Triliteral roots" (triplets of radical letters) are simply a mnemonic device invented to help out non-linguists attempting to study Hebrew Bible.

In terms of the *current* syntactic and morphological analysis, the question actually is: what is the root?

Because the root is first merged with at least one derivational morpheme (needed to determine syntactic category of the word), and then merged with inflectional morphology.

In the case of Hebrew verb, the verb-building story starts with a biconsonantal (actually, monosyllabic) root. It does not yet belong to any syntactic category. Then adding a third consonant result in a verbal (or nominal, or adjectival) stem.

Example:  TuB is the root,   K + TuB is the verbal stem. Mnemonic triplet: (K,T,B) - produced by removing of vowels.

The question is, then, how do we know which of the three letters spells out the derivational affix: the first one or, maybe, the third? It's easy (even if controversial) for irregular verbs.

As for the regular verbs, there is no systematic answer in published linguistic research. Still, the state-of-art morpho-syntactic platform known as "Distributed Morphology"
provides all the necessary tools in order to try and identify biconsonantal roots in Semitic.

Sasson Margaliot