b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 126, Issue 41

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Sasson Margaliot <sasson AT live.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 126, Issue 41
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2013 22:30:11 +0300

John Leake wrote:
"I agree that they are possible, and indeed the biliteral root is supposed to be the origin of the triliteral root, but that's in the deeply obscure pre-history of the Semitic languages."

I do not agree with this statement. There seems to be a systematic way to identify the "biliteral" Root in many traditional 3-Roots, while working with Biblical Hebrew alone.
For example, for all "irregular" verbs, the Root is known. In the case of Lamed"Hey, the third consonant is not part of Root - it is a derivational suffix.
Similarly, there are many nouns that only have two root consonants.

Sasson Margaliot