b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Would you give a command?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Jerry Shepherd <jshepherd53 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Would you give a command?
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 07:34:04 -0700

Jerry:

On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 11:56 AM, Jerry Shepherd <jshepherd53 AT gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Karl,

You write: "Were all 250 there with him, or a smaller group representing the 250? Actually more, because some of the people listed in verses 1–2 were not physically present, as revealed in verse 12.

I'm not quite sure what you are saying here, and I think you are a bit confused on the flow of the narrative.

Ever had your mind run ahead of your fingers and you end up with gaps in your writing? I usually catch them, but looks like I missed one here.

Actually, there were more people involved in the rebellion than were physically present before Moses, because some of the people listed in verses 1–2 were not physically present, as revealed in verse 12. But they were still represented by Korah and any who accompanied him.

  When Moses, in v. 16, issues the command for Korah and his followers to come the next morning with their censers, he is addressing the already named group in vv. 1-2.  In verse 12, when Dathan and Abiram declare they will not come, there is nothing in the text to suggest that they left after having said this; so they are still physically present.

If they were physically present, then Moses wouldn’t have had to send for them as listed in verse 12.

Blessings,

Jerry

Jerry Shepherd
Taylor Seminary