b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] G. Geroux and the Name

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rolf" <rolf.furuli AT sf-nett.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] G. Geroux and the Name
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 10:05:16 +0200

Dear Jerry,

As for me, I think we are approaching the end of this thread. But allow me a
few comments.

You are free to find something likely or unlikely; I will not try to
interfere with that. This thread started when I, in a post discussing the
Tanakh. mentioned that there even is good evidence in favor of the name of
God being found in the NT autographs. When I sum up the discussion, I see
that several things have been turned upside down; what is normal has been
portrayed as abnormal, and what is strange has been portrayed what we should
expect. Several important points that I have raised have not been addre4ssed.

The following points have not been addressed:

When Jesus opened the book of Isaiah and read from chapter 61, the normal
thing to do was to read the Hebrew text, including YHWH, as it was written.
Why would he do something abnormal, not pronouncing YHWH, when this would
have been against everything that is said about God and his name in the
Tanakh? Luke reported the incident. If Jesus pronounced the name, why would
Luke do what would have been abnormal and delete the proper name and
substitute it with an appellative when the text Jesus quoted had YHWH?

When someone translates a text, the normal procedure in connection with
proper names is to transcribe them in accordance of the stock of phonemes of
the target language? According to Archer/Chirichigno, Romans 15:11 quotes
Psalm 117:1 where YHWH is found? Why would Paul in this verse not follow the
normal quoting procedure and use the proper name of God?

I have argued in favor of the normal translation and quoting procedures.
Those who argue in favor of KURIOS in the NT argue in favor of abnormal
procedures.

A last question: Do you believe that the original manuscript of Romans 15:11
contained KS, or was KS first introduced in manuscripts of Romans in the
second century CE?

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
Stavern
Norway

Torsdag 13. Juni 2013 04:14 CEST skrev Jerry Shepherd