b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] to rolf

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] to rolf
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 10:45:31 +0000

Rolf,

I think you have created a false dichotomy when you say "we cannot interpret Hebrew verbs in the light of other languages, and we need to analyze Biblical Hebrew according to its own standards."

Biblical Hebrew is a Semitic language, which means its related to other Semitic languages. This doesn't mean it has no distinction from other Semitic languages. The fact that we can label Biblical Hebrew (and even there, we have two or three different types) means it has its distinctives. However, to treat Biblical Hebrew in isolation from other languages means we are not treating it as a Semitic language. We need to strike the balance. You can't just look at Hebrew and not at its close relatives, because that would not be treating Hebrew as Hebrew. It would be treating it as something else. And that, I believe, is one of the methodological flaws in your and Karl's respective approaches. You look only at Hebrew, and do not appreciate its distinctives in light of its similarities to its genetically related languages.

Cheers!

GEORGE ATHAS
Dean of Research,
Sydney, Australia