b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] בעדי

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: John Leake <jesleake AT yahoo.co.uk>
  • To: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] בעדי
  • Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 04:29:04 +0100

The biggest problem in terms of interference, Uri, surely, is the reuse of words that in Biblical Hebrew are - or in Ben Chayyim's day seemed to be - synonyms and that have therefore been redefined in Modern Hebrew. And the pronunciation. But I've just started learning some Modern Hebrew ahead of a visit to Jerusalem, and must agree that it's neologisms that are the biggest problem for me. And it makes me grin to discover that בי אדני still gets people's attention!

John Leake

BYW, do you know much about Mishnaic Hebrew? How does its tense system differ from Biblical Hebrew's?