b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] The Name Abraham

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: lascelles James <lasgbjames AT gmail.com>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] The Name Abraham
  • Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 06:42:52 -0500

Dear List-Members:

This may have been a subject of past discussion but as I am new to the forum I do seek some help.

Hebrew names usually have meanings that can be determined from semantic and phonetic analysis. However, the name Abraham seems to be quite a challenge as the traditional interpretation "Father of a multitude" or "Father of many nations" just does not account for the presence of the consonant rosh.

Can anyone help to a better understanding or suggest an approach that could assist with determining a more appropriate meaning.

Thanks,

Lascelles James