b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Exodus 20:3-5

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Jonathan Mohler <jonathan.mohler AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Exodus 20:3-5
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 09:58:32 -0800

Jonathan:

What I have found is that the waw is optional, though usually included. Because it’s optional, its lack here is not “missing”. The context tells us that these three verses go together as a unit.

Verse 6 closes the command, and it starts with a waw.

I just noticed another example, Proverbs 30:19, “the path of an eagle in the sky, the path of a snake upon bare rock, the path of a ship in the sea, and the path of a man into the unknown.” where only the last phrase has a waw to introduce and tie it together with the whole. Other verses may have a waw between each section.

Karl W. Randolph.