b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Theophoric names

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Chavoux Luyt <chavoux AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Theophoric names
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 16:17:02 +0200

Shalom

From: Will Parsons <wbparsons AT alum.mit.edu>
To: jkilmon AT historian.net
>Hi Jack,
>
>On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 14:44:54 -0600, "Jack Kilmon" <jkilmon AT historian.net> wrote:
>
>> I have always been interested in the custom of theophorics and what
>> appears to be a pattern.  During the 1st temple period, there was no
>> problem voicing the name of God.
<snip>

From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
<snip>
>The way it is used in the Lakhish and Arad letters,
>for instance, seems to support this, but does prove it.
>
>On the other hand, I think that the spelling of
>theophoric additions can not help here since names
>like Yehonatan are also spelled Yonatan in quite a
>few chapters in the text. As if to emphasize this point
>the two forms appear in one verse 1 Sam. 19:1!

Just to add another point, it also appears from some archaeological finds that even during the first temple period, the Northern tribes (Israel) used the shorter theophoric names (-Yah instead of -Yahu and Yo- instead of Yeho-) cf (http://members.bib-arch.org/publication.asp?PubID=BSBA&Volume=27&Issue=3&ArticleID=1)... I am not sure if this might also be visible anymore as a difference between the prophetic books from Israel vs those from Judah, because of later scribal changes, but it might be worthwhile to look up for those of us with the right kind of software?

Regards
Chavoux Luyt