b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 23

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "R. Lehmann" <lehmann AT uni-mainz.de>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 23
  • Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 20:00:36 +0100

Dear Bryant, and list,

ad 1: tacet
ad 2: naphshi in 23:3 is "my life" (or life-energy, if you want), of course.
ad 3: yeshovev in connection weith naphshi is of course "restore" - "to make
my nephesh return" means: to bring back my energy to live, and this because:
ad 4: whoever wrote Psalm 23, it consists of two pieces: first, there was a
"liturgic piece" (vv 4-6), which originally belonged to the application area
of asylum / shelter in the sanctuary (cities of refuge), see Numbers 35:22ss
and the book by Lienhard Delekat, Asylie und Schutzorakel am Zionheiligtum,
1967. This explains fully the meaning od yeshovev naphshi and the following,
including the double-meaning of W$BTY, which first was we-$ibti (Y$B
inf+sff), see LXX kai to katoikein me: "I will stay in the temple / sanctuary
..." (as a refugee).
Later, when there were no more cities of refuge after exile, this changed
into we-$abti ($WB perf 1sg.qal): "I will come back..." Here, the Psalm has
turned into a pilgrimage song. Praise to those who had done this and re-read
the psalm this way! Without their work, it would have been lost like lots of
other Ancient Hebrew texts.
I think the vv. 1-3 (maybe also 4) were added as a song of confidence and
reliance to make it better fitting the pilgrimage situation.

Of course, all this is not my idea, but Delekat's. But it has been forgotten
a little bit in the last decades, and in my opinion it is the best you can
get to explain the philological AND theological profundity of this Psalm. I
explain this every term to my students in the Hebrew beginner's class, and
they are grateful to learn how theologically important it is to learn Hebrew.

¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨
Dr. Reinhard G. Lehmann, Academic Director
Research Unit on Ancient Hebrew & Epigraphy
FB 01/ Faculty of Protestant Theology
Johannes Gutenberg-University of Mainz
D-55099 Mainz
Germany
lehmann AT uni-mainz.de
http://www.hebraistik.uni-mainz.de/eng
11th Mainz International Colloquium on Ancient Hebrew (MICAH) 2013:
http://www.micah.hebraistik.uni-mainz.de/204.php