b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ezra 1:9, MXLP

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ezra 1:9, MXLP
  • Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2013 20:39:12 -0800

Pere:

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 10:39 PM, Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com> wrote:
The basic and main meaning of XLP is "to pass on/through" as we clearly have it in Song 2:11: "The rain passed on and went (out / away)"

This is one of the passages that makes me doubt that it means “pass through”.

Now, it is true that in the Hiphil it takes a range of meanings where "exchange" seems to be the main one.
In Jb 29:20 I cannot understand what TXLYP really means...

This whole passage is difficult.

I think, Karl, that in Ez 1:9 we have to trust the tradition, which has understood this word as "knives".  LXX has "parellagmena".

There are so many places where I have found tradition not trustworthy, so why not here too? The LXX has shown in other passages that the translators didn’t remember what was the original meaning of the Hebrew, therefore were just guessing when they made their translation. So why should we assume that they are correct here?

And concerning the form, do you not accept that it can also be a Hiphil Participle?

If so, it is defective.

Greetings

Pere Porta